Thursday, January 7, 2010

Guys named Kevin

I have this aversion to guys named Kevin. I am so sorry if your husband, child or father or any other close family member or loved one is named Kevin and I offend. It does not mean I think ill of you, I just need to get to know you better if you happen to have that name. Why that name? Well let me take you back to the days of my impressionable youth. I grew up in the Army. Always moving every two to three years from place to place. I loved it. It was a very fun way to grow up and I learned so much about people, cultures and life. (yes, I am wise in my 30's ha ha). Every time we would move my Mom and Dad would "adopt" a GI in the church we went to. This meant that this guy or girl would be over at our home on a regular basis usually eating dinner, playing games with us kids and generally feeling like they had a home away from home. This was always such a loving thing for my parents to do. I know how hard it is to be away from family so it was wonderful that they saw a need and filled it. It just so happens that one of the first army guys I can remember my parents bringing home was named, you guessed it, Kevin. Let me put your mind at ease right away and tell you that Kevin in no way harmed me or made me feel badly. He was a genuinely nice guy just trying to make his way in the world. So how did I come to have such strong opposition to him? Well, my dad used to like to joke that he was going to marry me off when I was 14. he would tease that the guys he brought home could some day be the man he would stick me with. Well, I being young and not very good at getting teasing (for the record I am still terrible at getting teasing) I took my Dad very seriously. The first time he mentioned that "hey, maybe some day Kevin could be the guy you marry, but not until you are 14" and he and Kevin had a good laugh I freaked out. At 10 years old I knew I had to take steps necessary to make sure Kevin NEVER wanted to marry me. I was a huge brat to him from that point on. I went to extremes to ignore him or be snotty, which ever attitude would fit the situation best. The funny thing is that at the same time Kevin was visiting our home another army guy Steve would also come over. They were buddies and my family really liked them both. Steve never bothered me, but then again Dad never said I would have to marry him. One day, I think as I was getting closer to 14, I found out that Kevin got married to a lovely lady named Charlotte. We happened to live close to them and I got to go visit. I felt a lot more kindly to Kevin now, because well he couldn't marry me, he had a wife. I was off the hook. But to this day, even though it is ridiculous, I have a bit of an aversion to guys named Kevin. I always end up liking these poor guys that have no control over their name. But it just goes to show, that if you have impressionable children that believe everything you say, are super gullible and don't get teasing, you could ruin them for life. Okay, not likely many kids are like that these days, but I am just sayin' watch out. And Kevin Hester, if you are reading this. I think you are a good guy :)

No comments: