Monday, January 11, 2010

Grandma Genny



This is our Grandma Genny, short for Genevieve. She is my mom's mother, and really one of the most amazing people I have had the opportunity to know, and best of all she is my Grandma. Today is her 77th Birthday and I am telling you this woman is amazing. She always looks young for her age and is so active that I have never though of her as old or elderly. When I meet other people, even in their late 60's, I think wow, they must be getting close to 100 with all those issues and ailments, but it is because my Grandma is so youthful that I am always confused about what age people really are.

We had the opportunity to spend yesterday at her house (she lives about three hours away) and celebrate her birthday. It is always so lovely to spend time there and our girls, her great granddaughters adore her as well.

Adelle still has trouble keeping track of which Grandma we will see. My girls are so lucky to have all their Grandma's still living so we have to call them Grandma "name here" so we know to which one we are referring. Well, Adelle hasn't caught on to the names as well yet so she comes up with things, sort of like personality landmarks to remember them by. At first Grandma Genny was "the Grandma with no eyebrows". This was so funny to us, because she does have eyebrows of course, but they are very light, so she pencils them in. I think one time Adelle saw her without them done up and for a long time called her that. Then, about two years ago when we went to visit, Grandma had bought mini cupcakes to give the girls for treats. As a side note her house is never in lack of treats, but she bought these just for the girls. That is another amazing thing about her, she remembers what you love and then always has it when you come visit. Adelle was so amazed by the little cupcakes that fit right into her hand that she was no longer "the Grandma without eyebrows" but became and is still to Adelle "the Grandma with the little cupcakes".

It is such a joy and blessing in my life to be able to spend my time with such a wonderful person. Happy 77th Birthday Grandma. I love you. You are amazing.

2 comments:

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!) said...

How nice to hear how much you enjoy spending time with your grandma! And what a blessing it is that your children get to spend time with her and make memories that they will have when they are older and Grandma Genny has passed on. I know that I met my great grandma once in my life, but I was so young I don't remember it.

Keisha said...

Happy Birthday Grandma Genny!! She's the cutest little grandma:) Its so hard to live so far away from eachother! I want to get to know everyone lots more...maybe one day!?!