Tuesday, August 18, 2009

pictures to fight off sadness






On Monday morning I got the girls up for school. Instead of bounding out of bed Adelle told me she was so tired and wanted to know if she had to go today. I informed her that yes she did, while I was sorry she was tired sadly that is not a good enough reason to miss school. So onto the bus she and Cora went. After school was out I was waiting at the bus stop. When Adelle and Cora exited the bus Adelle came running to my arms and immediately melted down into sobs. When I asked her what happened she just said she was tired and really missed me. So we went home, had a snack and cuddled and all was well with the world. Then, right before Adelle went to sleep she said "Mom, my teacher said that I should bring a picture of you to school with me so I can look at it when I miss you and feel sad." Okay, I thought that is doable. I sent Adelle with the two pictures above. I told her maybe she should put them in her folder so they won't get lost. She told me that was a bad idea because then the teacher would think they were for her and she would keep them and look at the pictures. Okay, I told her do what you want with them then. Today when she got off the bus she was happy and smiley. I asked her if the pictures helped her today. She said "No, I didn't even look at them." Well, that's that. I guess if at some point she gets sad the pictures are there. Otherwise I may need to be the one looking at pictures when I get lonely. I miss my little cuddle buddy, Adelle.

7 comments:

Kirsty said...

Awww that's precious. I think it's just knowing that she has them that makes all the difference. Must have made your heart hurt, but also good to know how much she loves and still needs you! Have you read the kissing hand?

Aleisha said...

Sweet~~

Keisha said...

I have such cute Nieces!!! All three of them look so dang cute for school!!! Good work! Love and Miss you all!!!

Al and Jenny said...

I am glad she isn't homesick anymore. Poor little thing! That is a good idea that her teacher had. I think school must be such a huge adjustment for everybody.

It reminds me of the time when I was doing my student teaching and there was a girl that cried every day at recess because she missed her mom. What a heartbreaker.

Lydia Moon said...

I can't believe Adelle is old enough to go to school! Time really flies! What a smart teacher to suggest bringing a picture with her. Kindergarten must be a tough teaching gig some days.

Rachel Doyle said...

How's the school stuff going for you and the girls?! Adelle is sure cute -- well they all are -- Anyhow hope you are adjusting to the quiet days.

John and Lara said...

that is so cute!! what a funny girl