Wednesday, August 10, 2011

No longer the smartest person (not that I ever really was)

It is official, I have a daughter who is a freshman in high school. She has been a teenager for a few years so I have had time to get used to "the teens" but a new phase has begun. This new phase I think will have to be called "dumb Mom". My daughter would never be so audacious as to call me dumb, at least not to my face, but it has been strongly implied.

I give you Exhibit A: I was sitting at a stop light recently and I let up from the brake in preparation for the light to turn green, I was the first car at the stop so no worries about me running into any cars in front of me. (if you are confused read my post about it being my fault). My teenager turns to me and says "Mom, the light is red." I looked at her and asked if she was sure. I was pretty sure I knew red from green but I am glad she reminded me. In my defense she was not with me during my little fender bender so I didn't see any need for her to be so worried. (she just thought I was dumb)

I give you a better example in Exhibit B: The very same teenage daughter was with me at the grocery store. I asked her if the sign on the shelf said the soda was 3 for $10. She said it did and helped me locate the appropriate correlating drink to the price. I grabbed two, one with each hand, and she says "Mom, that is two." I looked at her and asked "Really, I am pretty sure I can count but two is a high number?" She said "Mom, but it is 3 for $10." "Yes, I know", I replied "but I only have two hands." On our way to the register I asked if she thought I was dumb. I told her that if she did that is okay, it really does not hurt my feelings, in fact she is at the age where she is supposed to think I and all other adults are a lot less smarter than her. She was very emphatic in saying that she didn't think I was dumb. I sort of believed her, but not really. Her continual actions and words prove otherwise. But oh well, I guess she finally knows what I have all along. I really am not that smart; Just clever enough to act like I am, most of the time.

2 comments:

Amy said...

And then there is the "IKR" test. I guess I didn't help you out much there, did I?! At least your two younger ones still think you're super-smart!

Rachel Doyle said...

I am in trouble -- because both of my 3 year olds think I am dumb! For the record I think you are smart!